A charge may be declined for various reasons and can easily be resolved by asking buyers to check that their payment information is up-to-date and valid before charging. If you have "Failed Charge" notifications enabled, an email will be automatically sent to the buyer with instructions on how to resolve the payment issue.
Charge declines are more likely to occur when:
- You charge cards issued outside the country in which your business is located.
- The order is in a currency different from that in which the card is denominated.
- You charge orders with comparatively high dollar amounts (e.g. in the thousands)
If you receive the following error messages, the buyer must update their payment details through the secure form in Order Lookup. You will be notified by email when this step has been completed, in which you will need to recharge the order.
Common Charge Decline Error Messages
- The card number is incorrect.
- The card number is not a valid credit card number.
- The card's expiration month is invalid.
- The card's expiration year is invalid.
- The card's security code is invalid.
- The card has expired.
- The card's security code is incorrect.
- The card's zip code failed validation.
- The card was declined.